My aunt asked me to help her redecorate her guest room so obviously I said yes. I decided to use the side table from my previous post, then find and upcycle a dresser to match so that there would be continuity across the furniture pieces. I'll share pictures of the guest room in another post.
I wanted a small dresser that would provide some storage but not take up too much space. I also wanted it to serve as a TV stand. The Ikea Rast dresser met all these needs. You could purchase this from Ikea. It's a pretty inexpensive piece, but I figured I could save a few dollars and try to find it on Kijiji. It took me a a few days...but i'm patient :) A good find is worth it.
I decided to go with the same paint and stain that I used on the side table, but I wanted to change the hardware to something a bit more modern. I removed the old wooden hardware that the dresser came with, filled the holes with wood putty, and sanded the surface. I used the Minwax Red Mahogany Alkyd Wood Stain purchased at Home Hardware and the CIL Eggshell Interior Paint in Antique White purchased at Walmart.
I applied two coats of paint and three coats of stain following the manufacturer's instructions. To protect the finish I applied two coats of Helmsman Spar Satin Alkyd Urethane to the top of the dresser, and two coats of Varthane Exterior Clear Satin Latex to the sides of the dresser and the drawer faces. I had a set of drawer pulls left over from a past project. I measured the drawer to determine the placement and taped over the area where the holes would be drilled so I wouldn't ruin the stain.
And voilà! I love how this turned out!
- Ikea Rast Dresser (purchased from Kijiji) - $30.00
- Sandpaper - $1.13
- Tack Cloth - $2.25
- Paint (Sample Jar) - $5.63
- Minwax Red Mahogany Alkyd Wood Stain (Left over from previous project) - $11.85
- Helmsman Spar Satin Alkyd Urethane (Left over from previous project) - $14.11
- Varthane Exterior Clear Satin Latex (Left over from a previous project) - $15.81
- Paint Brushes - Assorted sizes from local Dollarama
- Drop cloth - $3.39
- Painters Tape - $1.41
- Drawer Hardware (Left over from a previous project) - I can't remember where I got these, but these are similar.
Until next time.