I came across this desk on my walk home years ago when I lived in Ottawa. I could see the potential, but it definitely needed work! I can't walk away from a well made piece of furniture that just needs a little (well maybe more than a little) elbow grease. It took me a while, but I have finally completed the makeover.
I will admit, it has taken me years to complete this project. When I first moved to Toronto, I painted the desk black to match my other furniture pieces. The desk was missing a drawer, so I decided to turn this section into a shelf. All I needed for this part was a piece of plywood cut to fit in the opening, and two pieces of lattice attached to the sides of the desk to create ledges for the shelf to sit on. Once the shelf was complete, I painted the opening and the shelf with paint I had left over from when I first painted the desk.
The wood on the top was too light and yellow-toned in comparison to the other pieces in my apartment so I decided to strip and restain the top of the desk...a messy but rewarding undertaking.
I applied a couple coats of the Circa 1850 Furniture Stripper rubbed it in with a pad of fine steel wool, and scraped off the old finish. I repeated this process three times to make sure all the old finish was off. I applied three coats of Minwax Alkyd Wood Stain in the colour provincial, wiped off the excess in between, and allowed the desk to dry. The wood didn't take the colour as well as I had expected, but I really love the way it came out.
Finally a well decorated spot for me to get some work done. Let me know what you think.
Until Next Time,